June is the perfect month to be aware of garage door safety. With the start of summer vacation, children will be coming and going through the garage doors now more than at any other time of year. PLEASE check your garage doors and garage openers to make sure they are working properly, especially the photoelectric eye (safety eye) component. It is very easy to test these components of a garage door:
To test a garage door opener, place a roll of paper towels under the door, and lower it. When the door hits the towels, it should reverse. If it doesn’t, have it checked by a professional garage door repairman.
A professional should inspect and make any repairs, but here are a few tips on other things to watch for:
- Check that the door opens and closes smoothly. If it is not, the springing system may need to be adjusted or replaced.
- Look for loose brackets on the garage doors. Because they are under tension, they can cause serious injury if loosened or removed.
- Gauge the age of your garage door springs. They, too, are tightly wound and can cause damage or injury if they wear out and break.
- Check for any frayed or worn cables.
- Teach children about garage door safety. Place the control switch for the garage door opener at least 5′ above the floor so that small children can’t reach it; remind them that the garage door opener is not a toy.
- Use the red emergency cord to release the garage door locking mechanism if the power is out.
An annual visit from a trained garage door technician can keep your door operating safely and smoothly. For more safety and maintenance advice visit www.clopaydoor.com or give us a call today 303.565.6409.